Norwood Hospital Celebrates Key 2018 Achievements and Makes Plans for 2019
Norwood, MA – Norwood Hospital celebrated a number of key achievements in 2018 and has announced some key investments for the new year. In an email to hospital staff, Dr. Salvatore Perla recently recapped several awards that the hospital earned in 2018, many of which recognized the high quality of care patients receive at Norwood in key departments.
Those awards included:
- Designated a Blue Distinction+ center for Maternity Care by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Designated a Blue Distinction+ center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
- The American Heart Association Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke GOLD Plus Achievement Award
- Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Accreditation
- American Diabetes Association – Certificate of Recognition as meeting national standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology for Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, Ultrasound, Mammography, MRI, and CT
- Designated as a Gold level supporter of organ donation by Donate Life
- 2018 Breastfeeding Achievement Award
- AABB Accreditation (American Association of Blood Banks)
- College of American Pathologists Laboratory Accreditation
- MBSAQIP (Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program) Comprehensive Center Accreditation Award
Meanwhile, the hospital also attracted several new physician specialists with expert training from some of the area’s leading academic programs, while also recruiting veteran physician experts to help serve the greater Norwood community.
In 2018, those strategic physician recruitment efforts helped attract many talented new physicians to the hospital, including Tracy Webber MD – Hand and General Orthopedics, Timothy Hartshorn MD – Orthopedics, Dana Xu MD – General Surgery, Janaki Patel MD – Gastroenterology, Louis Silvagnoli, MD – Internal Medicine.
Physicians selected to Boston Magazine’s Top Doctors for 2018 include: John Frasca MD, Timothy Anderson MD, Norman Tabroff MD, Jonathan Caine MD, George Vaida MD, Waqar Cheema MD, Nicholas Ruocco MD, Paul Dagincourt MD, James Macek MD, Richard Popovic MD, Jinsil Sung MD, Savitha Gowda MD, D. Bora Hazar MD, Salvatore Napoli MD, Young Kim MD, Kevin Loughlin MD, June Chun MD, Alice Shen MD, Susan Chabot MD, Joseph Sirois MD, Christopher Giuliano MD, Arthur Giuliano MD, Robert Henry MD, Leah Spitzer MD, Philip Weinstein MD, Peter Lydon MD, Kevin McCarthy MD, William Nannery MD , John Al-Jamal MD, Michael Curran MD, and Robert Patz MD.
The hospital also hosted and sponsored a range of public health and community events, including but not limited to Healthcare Explorers High School Student Program, Red Cross Blood Drive, Steward Farmers Market Voucher Program, Healthy Kids Day, Veterans/Seniors Wellness Fair, National Doctors’ Day, Impact Norwood/Minds Matter/Interface, Relay for Life, Norwood Police Youth Safety Fair, AHA Boston Walk, Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Best Years Expo, Seniors/Caregiver Conference, Community Support Groups, and several annual 5K Road Races, and various community Town Days for the towns in our geographic area.
Additionally, Norwood Hospital continued to be one of the area’s largest taxpayers, helping to fund police departments, fire departments, public schools, and other key municipal services.
The Year Ahead
In 2019, Dr. Salvatore Perla said the hospital will continue to invest in and expand service lines that are in high demand from patients, including:
- Center for Digestive Health
- Bone and Joint Institute
- Emergency Department – Adult & Pediatric
- Center for Cardiac Excellence
- Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine
- Ears, Nose, Throat & Sinus Center
- Center for Behavioral Health
- OB Renovations
- Cancer Center
- Spine & Pain Management Center
- Cafeteria and Public Meeting Space
- Norwood Primary Care
- N eedham Primary & Specialty Care
“We are honored to serve patients of the greater Norwood community. Our team of talented physicians, nurses, and caregivers did a tremendous job in 2018, winning a number of awards recognizing their excellent work providing high-quality care to thousands of patients,” said Dr. Salvatore Perla “We expect that success to continue in 2019 including through additional physician recruitment and key initiatives to optimize patient experience and to make care both in our hospital and through our network of providers even more accessible and convenient for the patients we serve.”
We are also excited to announce the addition of several new primary care doctors that will serve the communities of Foxboro, Needham, and Norwood. This includes Dr. Juliet Nimako, Dr. Louis Silvagnoli, Dr. Irina Kogan, Dr. Jugta Khuman.
About Norwood Hospital
Norwood Hospital is a full-service, 215-bed community hospital for adults and children with a focus on delivering world class health care along with the latest advances in technology and treatment options. With first class specialists, innovative treatment options, and state-of-the-art technology, including robotic-assisted surgeries for joint replacement, the hospital campus provides exceptional care throughout Norfolk County and surrounding areas. Norwood Hospital has received many awards including 2018 Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award, MBSAQIP (Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program) Comprehensive Center Accreditation Award, and has been designated as two Blue Distinction+ Centers by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts for Maternity Care and for Knee and Hip Replacement. Norwood Hospital is part of the Steward Health Care System. Additional information is available at www.norwood-hospital.org.