800 Washington Street, Norwood, MA 02062 781-769-4000
In 1902, Eben C. Norton, MD, began operating a cottage hospital in two small buildings near the center of Norwood, Mass. The building housed an operating room and two beds for emergency care. In 1913, local philanthropist George Willett moved another building to the site to expand the Cottage Hospital to 23 beds. By 1917, Norwood’s leaders had realized the need for a larger hospital and the Willett Cottage Hospital became Norwood Hospital.
Throughout the intervening decades, the hospital continued to expand and improve to keep pace with medical science and technology, along with patient needs and expectations. A new era began in 1997, when Norwood Hospital was acquired by Caritas Christi Health Care. In 2010, Caritas Christi was bought by Steward Health Care, the largest fully integrated community care organization in New England.
Today, Norwood Hospital is a 264-bed facility and offers a full range of patient care services, from its Small Miracles Maternity Unit to its modern emergency department, up-to-date radiation oncology services, extensive endoscopic services, advanced laparoscopic and neurological surgery and cardiac catheterization lab.
Norwood Hospital continues to provide exceptional care to the more than 300,000 people in Norwood and the 15 surrounding communities it serves.